Tuesday 17 September 2013

MY ''DARK EXPERIENCE'' AT THE MURTALA MUHAMMED INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT LAGOS MEDICAL PORT


'' You have till the end work to submit your international passports and yellow card data pages , or risk not going for the trip'' was what I was able to interpret from the mail sent to my colleagues and I.
Some minutes later, everywhere was in topsy turvy as   everyone moved  in all directions trying to get all their necessary travel documents ready and intact.
A couple of hours later,  we all  headed towards Murtala  Muhammed International airport Lagos to get the new authorized yellow cards.
Nigerian government had decided that all previously issued yellow cards (vaccination cards) were going to be null and void at the end of this month, and had issued new ones.
The new yellow card had sort of a leathery feel to it's covers with a new passengers travel document number written in a  unique  way.
We all had to pay the sum of  N1000, to  get  the new one and I imagined how much money the aviation ministry or the body in charge  would make as a result of this latest directive.
Which brings me to my dark experience.
On approaching the medical port / wing of the airport, there was a huge crowd with little ventilation.
I started looking around to see if some people in the crowd covered up the air conditioning vents  and was shocked that the fault actually came from the airport , not the people.
I  soon began having a fainty  feeling, sweating profusely and looked for a chair to sit and cool off.
While trying  to get myself together,  the light in the medical port went off and the nurses had no option but  to work in the dark using the flashlights from their phones, and I couldn't but  pity them.
A couple of minutes later , all the lights in the surroundings went off and we were all left in the dark for about 45-50 minutes.
Wait ooo, is this light not coming on ? What happened I asked my colleague and he responded saying '' What happens in your house''? PHCN of course.
At that point I marveled,  surprised that I could experience such at an international airport ( Not local ooo). 
Some minutes later, one of the nurses came out to address everyone  in the dark ( Seen in the picture above), pleading that we do not block the entrance to their office, also telling us what we needed to obtain the new cards. Luckily , she sounded patient and nice.
At that point, I was so shocked and felt I could share my experience on my blog.
With the aid of my phone and flash, I was able to smartly  take a few pictures .
''Our children, will still grow up to meet this'' my colleague gushed sadly, which made me realize alot of people had lost hope in Nigeria as a country and  had decided to accept things  as they are.
Well, I won't be the one to drink Nigeria's panadol lol, but we certainly do need an intervention and it starts with you and I.
Check out more pictures below 




No comments:

Post a Comment