Sunday 7 February 2016

HAVE SOME NIGERIANS MISSED THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF BURIAL CEREMONIES?



Death is for sure inevitable , as we will all die someday. I usually hate to attend burial ceremonies because not only do I feel grieved emphatically with those mourning , it kinda reminds me that I'd loose my beloved parents, siblings, dear friends , my spouse or kids someday. The feeling isn't really pleasant and I feel sad and sick to my stomach.

Well, a very close friend of mine lost her dad and I was obligated to go and offer her my support and condolences after all, true friends support each other in good as well as bad times.
Surprisingly though , her father died at about  58 years which isn't so old but what transpired at the burial ceremony shocked me.
I hadn't attended any burial ceremony in a decade so I was appalled by what I witnessed only to be informed that it was the latest trend and usual.
My friend who happens to be from the Eastern part of Nigeria was torn in grief loosing her dad. Her entire family were in sober mood over their loss yet some supposed visitors turned the burial ceremony into fan fare.
The atmosphere seemed sober until her dad's body was laid to rest and covered up then the party began.
Asides her kinsmen and various groups such as the Umuada who demanded they be settled monetarily  and compulsory special food reservations  kept for them ,people ate, demanded for more, ate and packaged food in plastic bags known as ''walkey talkey's'' as takeaway. Some drank to stupor with eyes and tastes on the most exotic wines available at the ceremony.
The shocking part was the souvenir. Fights between individuals erupted as everyone wanted a piece of the  souvenir. People danced and gyrated and you think that was enough. At night, party part 2 started. Songs from artistes like Patoranking, Timaya, Wande Coal and a host of Nigerian circular music artistes filled the atmosphere as opposed to Christian sober music ushering the dead into God's bossom and a semi club house was formed with youths enjoying every moment  and I wondered. Have some Nigerians actually taken burial ceremonies to another level? Regardless of the age of the dead person, should it be sober or turned into fanfare?
Discussing with a couple of acquaintances I realised most people at the death of a loved one have high blood pressures not over sadness loosing the loved one, but over the financial obligations and requirements necessary to see the individual is laid to rest without hitches. Sad indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment