Tuesday 10 March 2015

FINDING MR RIGHT EP 20 ''DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA''




The morning was super cold having rained all night. I suffered  extreme weather temperatures  as my room had no ceiling to cushion weather effects.

I had returned a day earlier from Jalingo to my place of primary assignment.
Jumoke had  told me she was going to see Valo in Benin, and I figured being left with Efosa alone would be awkward and decided to cut my stay in town short.
Oh lord, how many more weeks do I have to stay here before passing out? I pondered and consoled myself realising I had less than a month to go. I was happy and beaming with smiles all over my face.
All of a sudden, thoughts of Umar filled my mind , and a sense of sadness engulfed me. I was truly going to miss Umar. Leaving him would be hard , but the nagging possibilities of us not going to spend the rest of our lives together  since he was Muslim and I had no intentions converting from Christianity were inherent.
While engrossed in thought, the door opened and Nonye walked in.
''Hmm Tess , na you dey enjoy this service year oo, you be original runaway corper'' she teased, and we both burst out laughing.
''Guess what happened , while you were away?'' Nonye started.
You have started again with your never ending gist's and stories abi? What happened again? I replied her.
'' Hmm, Chai'' she began in her usual dramatic manner, her eyes wide opened, mouth tilted forward with hands gesticulating.
'' Tess it is Ikenna ooo. A student came with with her parents  and claimed Ikenna was responsible for her pregnancy''.
Jeeez! That's a lie ! I exclaimed, my eyes rounded wide open and in total shock. How did that happen? It must be a set up, Ikenna cannot do that .
''My dear, do not trust men ooo. When they are sexually aroused, they think through their anus. Not to talk of the  ''Conji'' ( Accumulated sexual urge from sexual starvation) they (the male corper's) have suffered for months''.
Yes I agree,  I chipped in but not Ikenna of all people.
Ikenna was a fellow corper serving with us. He had a little nice hut were he entertained lots of secondary school students we taught at that time.
He was very good looking , charismatic and prayerful , so the ladies flooded  around him like bees.
Ikenna's voice was always the first voice I heard in the morning while he did his devotions giving a rendition of various praise songs in different dialects.
How could he have done such a thing ? I queried repeatedly. I thought he was prayerful and born again.
''Hahhahahahhaha, born again ko, prayerful ni'' Nonye laughed even harder. Speak for yourself my dear'' she said.
Nonye and Ikenna had always been at loggerheads over his incessant early praise songs. According to her, Ikenna always disturbed her sleep and made everyone else in the corper's lodge feel like sinners.
While I tried digesting the news, I couldn't help but imagine were Ikenna could be and what would be going through his mind. He had absconded to avoid being lynched by the youths in the community. 
This was indeed a serious mess he was in  and I felt for him. Still digesting the news, I remembered Jumoke. We hadn't spoken since she left for Benin and I had to call her.

1 comment:

  1. chidinma ooooooo. pls i cant wait to see how dis story will end.

    ReplyDelete