Saturday 25 October 2014

READ - LADY POURS HER BROKEN HEART OUT IN A POEM TAGGED'' HIS PH.D IS IN HYPOCRISY''




The poem you are about to read was written by a lady named Tayo Oredein. She is based abroad , but has a Nigerian heritage. Her poem was inspired by heartbreak. Check it out below


In 2000, I fell in love for the first time and then I had my 
heart crushed. 

This series of poems began with my need to get past the 
hurt, and to heal. As time went on, it spawned into a 
literary project of sorts. As I chronicled the relationship 
through poetry, I began to see that everything, even 

heartache, happens for a reason. 

HIS PhD IS IN 
HYPOCRISY  

…AND OTHER POEMS ABOUT  

MY CRAPPY EX-BOYFRIEND 

BUY ON AMAZON


In 2000, I fell in love for the first time and then I had my 
heart crushed. 

This series of poems began with my need to get past the 
hurt, and to heal. As time went on, it spawned into a 
literary project of sorts. As I chronicled the relationship 
through poetry, I began to see that everything, even 
heartache, happens for a reason. 

Our Beginning 


First Date         October 2, ‘99 
A nervous me ironed out my clothes- 
Black jeans and a white shirt. 
A nervous me pulled my hair back- 
I’d wear it in a low bun. 
A nervous me polished my nails- 
No flaws allowed. 
A nervous me painted my lips- 
Bronzed, red kissed by the sun. 

A nervous me peeked out the window 
but no one was there yet. 
So a nervous me chatted with my folks 
as I waited for my date to arrive 
A nervous me jumped up 
when the bell finally rang 
My date was at the front door 
It was seven twenty-five 

He was still as cute as ever 
with his eyes blazing blue 
He wore blue jeans, a green shirt 
a funky hat, and a tan vest 
I admired his appearance 
His healthy beard nicely trimmed 
He was nice, clean and neat 
I liked the way he was dressed 

A nervous me sat next to him 
during dinner at Pizzeria Uno’s 
I enjoyed our conversation and my food 
for which, he wouldn’t let me pay 
We went to shoot pool afterwards 
where he proceeded to sing 
“Back That Ass Up” by Juvenile 
whenever I bent over to play 

Our last stop before my house was the bay 
out on the rocks, out in the water 
Looking up, he named nearby stars 
in an opportunity too good to miss, 
when he looked back down 
a nervous, but now gutsy me 
pulled him in for a deep kiss 


The First Two Months     November ‘99 
In the first two months, there were four dates 
Each time we went out 
I had a lot of fun with him 
but, soon I begin to have doubts 

We were supposed to double date once 
with my best friend and her man 
He called to cancel at the last minute 
but was surprised when I went through with my plan

That wasn’t the first time, 
It sure as hell wasn’t the last 
Often times he’d cancel after 
our meeting time had passed 



 Phone calls from him were rare, 
unless making plans for later that night 
Usually we’d end up seeing a movie 
maybe to grab a bite 

A week or more would pass 
without so much as a phone call 
What the hell is up with this guy? 
Doesn’t he like me at all? 

I really thought he didn‘t 
It sure as hell seemed that way 
I hardly saw or heard from him; 
At best every other Sunday 

Is there another girl 
that he is seeing? 
Is there someone else 
With whom he liked being? 

With curiosity running the show 
I had to know if I was the only one 
So I asked if there were other girls 
He told me there were none 

In unrelated events, the next Friday 
I was going to Boston to see 
Some friends from college. 
He said he’d accompany me 

Then he said he wasn’t sure 
He’d let me know soon 
Finally, he told me he couldn’t go 
That was Thursday afternoon 

He said Ramadan was the reason 
Saying one shouldn’t fast when he travels 
So there was a conflict of interest 
He didn’t want his religious fiber to unravel 

Whatever! I’d go by myself 
I had no problem with it 
I was just sad because then I knew 
there was no chance for a relationship 

Two months had passed 
since we had our first kiss 
And look what happened 
I had indisputably been dissed 

My Trip to Boston       December 10, ‘99 
I wish he had come up 
I just know we would have had fun 
But I gotta face reality 
Our time- It’s done 
He hardly ever calls 
and rarely tries to see me 
There’s nothing that even says 
he wants to be with me 

So while I’m up here 
I’m not going to think about it 
I’m just going to chill with friends 
Drink ‘til I forget 
There are some cuties here 
Some looking my way 
Oh, but not Sean 

No, that guy’s gay 


To be continued...............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment