Wednesday 3 April 2013

WAJE'S '' I WISH'' REVIEW BY TONI KAN




Waje is probably the most undervalued and unappreciated female songstress in Nigeria. She sings like a gong, and you can see from her stage performances that she is not just in this for the stardom or the big bucks but for the love of the game and it is a game that seems to be playing her.

Her latest video for I Wish, which made its debut on Channel O and Soundcity last week, extends what is already an impressive body of work, including favourites One Naira to For a Minute and Kolo.

Her voice has range and emotion and it drips with passion and pain. When she sings over the reggae accented beat: “How I wish, how I wish, how I wish that I didn’t have a heart / Say na only stone dey deep inside / I wish I didn’t have such an achy breaky heart / And when it comes to love say na me dey carry last” you want to reach out and give her a hug. 

There is pain and passion and a cocktail of emotions that speak of the sadness and pleasure of loving someone and being heartbroken.

The video, directed by Clarence Peters is a stunning visual montage. From the opening sequence where Waje is in white and on the bathroom floor with the rose festooned bathtub in the background to where she appears in red, her ample bosom covered, just barely, by her drawn up knees you see the clarity and visual appeal. 
There are no women shaking what their mama probably didn’t give them, this is a simple, stark and evocative video that does justice to the song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment